Friday, July 29, 2011

Mari Tomkinson - Heward

What I wanted when I graduated from high school and what actually happened ended up being very different, but I am very happy.

Wanted:
To be married quickly (I was thinking 1 or 2 years after HS graduation)
To have 5 or 6 kids (all by the year 2000 of course)
To marry someone who wears cologne and suits (LOVE them both--didn't get either)
Go to school with an Elementary Education major, but probably not teach since I just wanted to be a mom.

Reality:
Went to Ricks College for two years (was roommates with fellow p.h.s. class members Teresa Adams O'Loughlin, Shellee Holyoak Kuykendall, and Season Johnson Clark our freshman year which was tons of fun) then to BYU for one year. Decided to go on a mission because I wasn't married, wasn't dating, and it felt like the right thing to do. Served in the Japan Sendai Mission (dissolved after the March '11 earthquake) from '95 to '96. Came home and went back to BYU. Changed majors a bazillion times because I didn't want to teach Elementary School anymore but didn't know what I wanted to do, either. Started working at Nu Skin where I worked for 10 years (and knew a few of you). Met my husband, Josh in the fall of '99 in my BYU singles ward. Graduated in 2000 with a degree in Geography (yeah, took me 9 years but I did it!). Didn't pursue a job in Geography because I was making as much at Nu Skin as I would have in Geography, plus, because I was getting married (November 2000) I was hoping that we would have kids soon and I wouldn't be working anymore. Kept working while my husband, who had also graduated with his B.S. the same time as me began working on a Masters Degree. Kept working while he finished his Masters degree. Then continued working while my husband decided to change his career choice and get a second B.S. in education (He teaches Zoology, AP Biology and other sciences at Timpanogos High School in Orem). In 2008, at the ripe old age of 35, I was blessed to adopt our daughter Eliza through LDS Family Services finally got to quit working and become a stay at home mom.

Looking back I wouldn't have it any other way. I have been fortunate to have many (unplanned) dreams fulfilled.

We currently live in Orem. I love how facebook has helped to reconnect with so many of you. It is fun to see where people live and what they're up to. We are beginning the adoption process again and hope we will be able to adopt at least one more, but if not that is okay--I am grateful for one. She keeps me busy enough! I married an outdoorsman so our vacations are mostly camping. We've gone some fun places, though, like Death Valley, Yellowstone, Glacier National Park, and some Canadian National Parks in BC and Alberta. Josh has done research at BYU with bears, so I've seen many bears, bear cubs and have been to quite a few bear dens (in the spring before they vacate). That is probably one of the most unique things I've done. I am a thrill seeker and would love to jump out of an airplane or go parasailing one of these days. My dream vacation would be to go to New Zealand, Australia, or Fiji (although I wouldn't complain about going to Hawaii since I've never been). I am very busy and very happy. Doesn't it feel like 20 years ago was a dream and never happened, but at the same time parts of it seem like yesterday? It's crazy because I feel like I'm the same person but at the same time I feel like a completely different person. Maybe some of you feel the same way. I look forward to more catching up at the reunion.

10 year wedding anniversary picture:
Josh and me with a bear in 2002 (the bear is drugged) An engagement picture:

No comments:

Post a Comment