Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Michael Nelson - In Loving Memory

15 April 1973 - 10 April 2004

Mike was an experienced mountaineering guide and outfitter in Juneau, Alaska. He had trekked extensively in Alaska, Utah, Colorado, Washington State, and the Himilaya region of India and Nepal. At the time of his death, Mike had begun a much-anticipated long-distance trek. On the fourth day, he and a friend made their way across Harlequin Lake, a glacial lake near Yakutat. In spite of his expertise and precautions, the ice gave way several times. Ultimately, weakened from the cold as he was, Mike had not the physical strength of pull himself out of the frigid water, but died there, doing what he loved best; at one with the natural world.Michael Aaron Nelson, resident of Juneau, Alaska, formerly of Provo, passed from this life on the morning of April 10, 2004.

Michael leaves a powerful legacy of love and loyalty Ñ he will be sorely missed. He was a 1991 graduate of Provo High School, and had attended Brigham Young University. He served in the Mexico, Puebla mission.

Mike is survived by his father, Morris (Kathy) Nelson, mother Kristin (Don) Wilson, brothers Jonathan (Lorissa) Nelson, Jeffrey (Melissa) Nelson, and Matthew (Camilla) Nelson.

Viewings will be held on Friday, April 16th from 6 - 8 p.m. at Walker Mortuary, 85 East 300 South, Provo and on Saturday,April 17th from11:45 - 12:45 at the Grandview 16th ward chapel, 1260 West 1150 North, Provo. Services will follow at 1:00 p.m. Interment will be at Provo City Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, the family has asked that donations be made to the Humanitarian Fund of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

To send condolences to the family, please visit www.walkerfamilymortuaries.com.


Posted in The Daily Herald, Obituaries, Thursday, April 15, 2004


*Obituary picture from: http://www.mikeofthewilderness.com/info.htm


----------------------------------------------------------------

What are your memories of Mike? Use the Comments link below.

1 comment:

  1. Mike was a fun kid. I went over to his place one Saturday and we watched Rocky III. I told him my dad made do a 'Rocky Training Program' when I was 8, because I would talk my way out of fights. My mother had told me I couldn't come home if I walked away from a fight. 4th and 5th grade I got into so many fights that my parents changed their tune, to the complete opposite. Mike didn't believe that a father would do that. I assured him mine did. I told him one of the things that I had to do every day was punch myself for 20 minutes in the gut as hard as I could. He asked if he could punch me in the gut. I said, "sure." Then he asked to do it again and again. Somehow we traded him punching me in the stomach for five minutes, and he gave me one of those hand-held video games (Soccer.. you move the player at the bottom of the screen, into one of 5 positions to block the goals). He seemed to have some bottled-up rage towards his brother who was in the Air Force Academy, at the time.

    That is really cool that he went on to be so adventurous in life!

    ReplyDelete