Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Lorna Larsen

I have been editing, teaching, writing newspaper articles, and doing massage therapy. It has been fun and interesting to be back in school getting a degree in creative writing and finishing my first book. I am not married, although I almost was a couple of times, and am not interested in having children--something about as unheard of in our society as me being an atheist and a vegan. I'm in the UVU anime club and the Society for Creative Anachronism, I really enjoy science fiction, I was a professional creative chef, I sometimes can get food to grow in my garden before wild creatures take over (I recently found raccoons), I was a radio DJ by the name of Corny Lorny, and I used to be a psychology major because people are comfortable talking to me (this also helps with interviews).

The funniest in high school was that I could go dancing at The Palace on high school andcollege nights because I went to college at night starting my sophomore year. I remember Nine Inch Nails had just come out, I was obsessed with Depeche Mode and The Cure, and I loved dancing to everything from Siouxsie and the Banshees.

Mr. Baron was the most amazing teacher and great person, and he taught every one of my siblings in either electronics or computer science. I seem to be the only girl in the history of Provo High to have taken all three electronics classes and was, of course, the only girl in all three. (I, thus, have no excuse to ever be unable to use electronic devices!) I also took stage crew and auto shop, so I covered most of the bases for tomboy classes.

I was in college for what would have been my senior year, and I could go on for hours as to the interesting moments there. For example, I had a German professor who made us dance the funky chicken, commented whenever I wore anything but black, reminded my smoker boyfriend that he was killing himself every day (true enough), and had defected with his brother from East Germany only a few years earlier before the wall had come down. I remember Nicholai Geils-Lindeman was an exchange student at Provo High in '89 during the wall demolition (I have a piece) and he so wished he could be there. Nicko sold me his treasured black bass guitar (I play) and I named it Schwartz--having no idea that Schwartz meant the color black in German.

No comments:

Post a Comment