Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Ben Blair


If my memory and math serve me well, I graduated from Provo High School about 15-25 years ago. After graduation, I went to BYU. I completed the Fall semester then lived in Russia for a semester with a Russian family and taught their 4-year-old English as part of a program with BYU (Brian Liechty was also in the program; we saw a Russian punk band in concert!)

I served an LDS mission to Athens, Greece. It was a fantastic experience. When I got back, I continued my schooling at BYU. I met my wife, Gabrielle (Gabby) Stanley, from St. George at BYU in the elite, yet progressive “Bean Society” (other PHS ’91 members included Weston Spencer, Matthew Faulconer, and Sarah Ostergar). For our final semester, and while we were expecting our first child, we tried a semester abroad in Greece. After graduating, we lived in Provo for a few years, then moved to New York so I could go to graduate school.

We lived in New York for 8 years. I earned a PhD in Philosophy and Education. Gabby worked as a Designer and Art Director. During our last year in New York, I taught at SUNY New Paltz, then took my current job developing curriculum for online schools with K12, Inc. Gabby started a blog which eventually took the place of her design work.

We moved to Denver, Colorado in 2009, where we had our last child. We have six kids ranging from 13 to 1: Ralph, Maude, Olive, Oscar, Betty, and June. We still consider Denver “home”, though we moved to Normandy, France this past February for a year abroad (Merci for the lessons, Monsieur Burnah!) We live in a very rural farmhouse and we love it. I wish we could come to the reunion! Can’t wait for the next time to catch up!


No comments:

Post a Comment